Re: UCI-CoLA Research

I just returned from a vacation and received this post. I think it is very
timely that this is being considered. Here are some of the types of panels
that I would like to see tested:

1. Panels designated by Conventional Framing standards which are 2'-10" wide
by up to 10'-0" tall sheathed one side with 3/8" plwd secured with 8d common
nails at (4:6) and subjected to the maximum allowed force equivalent to a 70
MPH wind load applied on a 22 foot long wall 20 feet deep with 10 foot plate
height and a roof slope equivalent to 5:12. Panel ends should be restrained
by a tensile tie equivalent to 1,500 pounds of uplift. This should represent
a typical condition described in the code.
I would be interested in seeing if the results are compliant to the minimum
story drift defined by code, if there was any failure associated to the
panels or connections and the calculated story drift.

2. Adequate testing of wall panels highly loaded that approach the allowable
H/b ratio of engineered structures. The results should include actual story
drift for these panels when sheathed on two sides with close nailing (maximum
shear allowed by code schedules).
These are more realistic in the design of custom homes which often encroach
upon the tolerances allowed by code.

3. Determination of true deflection to calculated deflections. How accurate
are our calculations? Is the four part equation accurate, liberal or
conservative in results.

4. What effect or reduction should be applied to a shearwall where the plate
has been cut to allow installation of plumbing or electrical as is typical in
the field. Assuming that anchor bolts are installed within 9" from the cut
ends, will the wall act as a full unit by transfering shear through the
sheathing or will the missing plate section greatly reduce the capacity of
the wall panel?
If so, can the installation of two studs at the end of the plate (in the
middle of the shearwall) and installation of two additional tension ties have
any affect upon restoring the walls capacity?

Dennis S. Wish PE