Re: Completly shearing a building (also answer to perforatedshearwalls) -Reply

Dave,
Thank you and thanks to the others who responded with the same eloquently
stated opinions. My comments were, at most, cynical to the current design
methodology. How the heck are we going to change the course that Seismology
Committee is taking which affects our practices yet has little if any
calculable effect on the performance of residential structures.
In my example, the contractor may be doing a service by increasing the
stiffness of the overall structure, but he is also ruining the calculated
distribution of force by stiffness which may, theoretically, alter the
performance of the building. Do I believe it to be a negative effect - no
way. However, the liability that is transfered due to over-specification of
the methods is unwarranted in residential design which experiences field
changes as a normal part of bulding a home. I don't believe that the same is
true of commercial and industrial stuctures which are built to much more
ecconomical standards and do not generally experience major changes in the
field.

As I mentioned to others - how do we change the course that Seismology is
taking by trying to tie up all methodologies into one neat design so as to
comply with what is believed to be the answer to Vision 2000. They really did
not listen at the August 14th meeting which was meant to apease the community
to a small degree but planned to proceed into publication of the blue book
provisions already drafted by Kelly Cobeen prior to the opinions expressed by
those in attendance?

Dennis Wish PE

In a message dated 9/14/1999 10:01:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,