Foundation Tie Beam Splices

I am designing a tension tie beam for a foundation to resist the horizontal
thrust from the moment frames.  I have a Structural Engineering Handbook;
(by Gaylord) which says that lap splices for the tie beam reinforcement are
not permitted by Code.  The handbook says to use mechanical splices,
Cadweld, or butt-welded splices and to stagger the splices by 30 inches.

Does anyone know where this requirement is called out?  Which Code?  I've
been digging through the UBC and ACI but I haven't had much luck.  Anyone
familiar with this requirement?

Thanks,
John Connor
Kansas City, MO