Re: Foundation Tie Beam Splices

In CSA-A23.3 (very similar to ACI) it says examples of tension tie members
are arch ties, hangers and tension elements in a truss. It is my opinion
that an arch ties would be the same as a tension ties for the base reaction
of a moment frame such as a pre-engineered building. Because you do not
require many bars to do it and the spreading out of the splices is not
reasonable. I have used 3-30M bars in a similar situation coupled with
tapered threaded couplers that achieved the 125% required capacity.

David Handy, P.Eng.

At 02:18 PM 9/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am designing a tension tie beam for a foundation to resist the horizontal
>thrust from the moment frames.  I have a Structural Engineering Handbook;
>(by Gaylord) which says that lap splices for the tie beam reinforcement are
>not permitted by Code.  The handbook says to use mechanical splices,
>Cadweld, or butt-welded splices and to stagger the splices by 30 inches.
>
>Does anyone know where this requirement is called out?  Which Code?  I've
>been digging through the UBC and ACI but I haven't had much luck.  Anyone
>familiar with this requirement?
>
>Thanks,
>John Connor
>Kansas City, MO

David Handy, P.Eng.
dhandy(--nospam--at)trg.ca
The Thompson Rosemount Group, Cornwall, Ont. Canada
Opinions expressed are personal only.