Long Span Bridge - Any Thoughts Out There in SEAINT World

Talk about a silent world ......

Well let me throw something back out here for discussion.  Let's dissect the
word "long span".  Of the three bridge types (span, arch, and suspension) a
span bridge is classically defined as:

	"A structure supported on each end by a foundation"

I don't necessarily believe that the span needs to be continuous to be
considered long.  Since we now have defined what a "span" type of bridge is,
what constitutes long ?

Is this a relative term ?  The 1981 article "Recommended Design Load for
Bridges" in the Journal of the Structural Division contains a small hint at
what defines "long span".  Under its discussion for traffic loading for long
span bridges it states:

	"This section applies to any bridge or component of a bridge that is
outside the 	ranges of the code which would normally be appropriate for a
shorter bridge at 	the same location."

How's that for vague ?  If I have a 420' simple span Pratt truss bridge is
that a long span bridge ?  Let's here some chatter out there.  What are your
thoughts ?

>Your following message has been delivered to the list
  seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org at 05:44:56 on 13 Sep 1999.