RE: re/ Fp Values

To me, this is a valid question (since I KNOW there are several folks out
there applying a pseudo trapezoidal shaped load to a wall) in addition to
the following one:

Why isn't this more clear in the code?

As far as free standing block fences over 6 ft. high (I guess there are no
design values for walls less than 6 ft. high), Table 16-O gives values for
a-sub-p and R-sup-p. Of course, where it gets confusing is applying these
values into Eqn 32-2 since there is no h-sub-r. From previous comments on
this list, I have been instructed to set the h-sub-x over h-sub-r term to
zero, but this method is not that clear. What would folks do if they aren't
paying attention or have access to this list? Again I ask:

Why isn't this more clear in the code?

I know this is 20/20 hindsight, but it appears to me that (IMO):

1. The design manuals should have come out before the 1997 UBC took effect
and
2. There should have been provisions for intermediate issues of the building
code as there were in previous editions.

Getting a little ahead of myself, I recently got into an argument with a
plan checker with regards to the design and detailing of openings in shear
walls (see Fig 23-II-1). After twenty something years of structural
engineering, I thought I knew how to do this. Not according to the plan
checker. For the horizontal check/connection, I calculated the drag force
based on the shear above the opening and the shear below the opening. I
provided blocking and strapping to accommodate this drag force. For the
vertical component (continuous framing member-king stud), I calculated the
axial force by multiplying the shear force in the pier by the pier height
and dividing by the pier width. This is like: T=C=M/d. I divided this force
by the distance from the top of the pier to the top plate to give a distance
in which this "chord force" could be transferred into the panel above the
pier. I then provided boundary nailing that would transfer this force. As
shocking as this may seem, the plan checker did not think that this was an
adequate "Design for force transfer ... based on a rational analysis" (see
2315.1, 5th paragraph). Sheesh. At this point in my career, I no longer am
interested in getting into a debate with the plan checker. I just want to
finish the job and move on to the next one. It would have been nice to have
an example (such as one that may be included in an upcoming design
manual???) to reference.

And, finally, whatever happened at that infamous Seismology committee
meeting held on August 13th?

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA