RE: re/ Fp Values

Well, he (the plan checker) had a difficult time being specific (this is why
I got by - he said "this time"), but I believe he wanted me to consider a
M/d component in the horizontal direction (he said "like a steel moment
frame"). I could only guess that I would have to take the M produced by the
shear in the pier multiplied by the pier height then divide that by "d"
determined by the distance between the top plate and the horizontal strap at
the header then add this force to the drag force. I am only speculating here
since the plan checker could not give me a specific reference or example
(FWIW, I do not have Breyer's 4th edition, merely his 3rd and I learned
timber design based on his 2nd).

Of course, I think I would prefer (in the future) to design these conditions
in accordance with a "perforated wall" (a la APA report 157) instead of a
"wall frame". The sheathing gets bumped up a little but no straps and the
analysis method is simpler.

Hopefully, the forthcoming design manual will demonstrate AND ALLOW FOR
EITHER METHOD (anyone listening out there?).

I wonder how that 1997 UBC FAQ is coming?

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA