RE: retaining snow loads

Title: RE: retaining snow loads

The National Building Code of Canada notes that "snow and ice falling from a roof of a building may be deflected against the building, causing damage," but is silent on the magnitude of the loads.   I have seen a case where ice falling off of a roof deflected off the snow pile below the eave and crashed through a window right onto my desk.

********

This is  pretty much my concern, snow falling off a roof and deflecting off a snow drift below and impacting an entry door window system that the architect wants to make out of Profilit which is an interlocking glass panel system. (Anyone seen this stuff before?) If it was glass block I would be a little less concerned, but it still has the potential to break.

Jeff