From: NRoselund(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:NRoselund(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 1999 5:47 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Conventional Lumber Diaphragms

I have a project for an addition to an old house and garage.  New
construction is to match the old, or old style to the extent possible.

1.  Sections 2315.3.1 and 2315.2 of the '97 UBC give instructions for
construction of diaphragms of diagonal 1x lumber.  Table 23-II-G specifies
span-width ratios for diagonal-board-sheathed horizontal and vertical
diaphragms.  I can't find allowable values.  Am I overlooking a Table or
Section of the Code?

Appendix Chapter 1 on the UCBC has allowable values for horizontal
diaphragms
of wood diagonal sheathing with either roofing or hardwood flooring
coverings, but this is a code for existing construction, not new, and does
not include values for shear walls.

2.  Section 2320.12.9, Roof Sheathing, allows spaced roof sheathing for
conventional construction.  Chapter 15 allows spaced board sheathing under
tile and wood shingle roofs.  Why does re-roofing universally include
plywood
sheathing over existing spaced sheathing?  (At least in S.CA it does.)

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer