Concrete in wall, what for?

Here's an interesting thing I saw....While vacationing on the Oregon coast
I just had to stop by a job site (more interesting to me than a
refrigerator-magnet shop). A two story house was being built a few hundred
yards from the beach (very windy). On the bottom floor on the leeward side
was a garage door. The stud wall on either side of the door (about 4 ft on
each side) and the space between the header and plates was filled with
concrete. No other wall was built like this. The other walls all had
standard hold-downs. It was a weekend, no one around to ask. Could anyone
guess what the concrete was there for?   DH