Re: Conventional Lumber Diaphragms

Nels, I think the problem with 97 UBC is that it left out a para. in a section
that was in the 94 UBC, which gave allow. shear values for lumber-decked
diaphragms. I think it was an oversight, not intentional. It wasn't in the 1st or
2nd printing of 97 UBC.

As regards wood structural panel sheathing over spaced boards for re-roofing, I
believe it has become common practice to generate some diaphragm capacity and
strengthen roof. It also allows other types of roofing such as asphalt comp.
shingles or tiles to be installed as roofing, instead of wood shakes which were
common in Southern CA.  Spaced board roofs would have no diaphragm capacity.

Diagonal sheathing for wall bracing was accepted as prescriptive "conventional"
construction. I never saw a published shear value for it, but there is some old
reports circa 1930s or 40s from HHFA (precursor to HUD) describing wall racking
tests and comparing shear stiffness and strength performance compared to other
forms of construction, I believe including plywood sheathing. Wood structural
panel sheathing is better, of course.

John Rose/APA, Tacoma