Re: Conventional Lumber Diaphragms

John,

Thanks for the pointer to the 1994 Code -- that's a big help.  Since Table
23-I-I of the 1994 code gives rules for both horizontal and vertical
diaphragms (as does the matching Table in the 1997 Code), and Section
2314.2.1 does not distinguish between horizontal and vertical diaphragms, I
interpret the design value to apply to both.

I think that makes sense since the nailing pattern for diagonal board
sheathing would be the same for horizontal and for vertical constructions,
while the table of allowable shear values for wood structural panels are
based on different kinds of nailing patterns depending on whether the
component is vertical or horizontal.

Thanks again!

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer