Re: Steel bracing b/t

b/t ratios are usually based on conventional "Timoshenko plate theory" for
statically applied axial compression loads.  However, this theory does not
accurately predict the local buckling performance of HSS sections which have not
performed very well in cyclic load tests, often experiencing local buckling
after only a few cycles.   As a result, b/t ratios in all of the codes tend to
be very restrictive for HSS sections in seismic applications.

Not to pick nits, but most mathematicians consider a square to be a special case
of a rectangle.  I would consider code provisions that refer to rectangular
sections to include square sections.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo

"Uthoff, Steve" <uthoff(--nospam--at)hninc.com> on 09/17/99 03:10:07 PM