Re: retaining snow loads

100' FEET DOESN'T FALL ALL AT ONCE!  That's like saying Seattle gets 40
inches of rain all at once!  Here on the east side of the Sierras, we get 3
or 4 feet at a time in a big storm, the plows come through a couple times
during a big storm, the blowers follow after the storm is over, packing the
snow as they go along, and for the next week or so the snow "settles" even
more.  The sun  (we are in California!) at 8000 feet elevation melts it too
over the whole winter.  The spring runoff up here isn't that noticeable,
but downstream when it all "comes together" makes for the famous whitewater
rafting trips.  By the way, our winter usually starts in October and ends
mid June, so the season for these snowfalls is very long (sometimes, like
this year, it even snows and sticks in August).  The roadside berms are
ususally 10 to 15 feet at their worst, as are the berms on my driveway!
Any higher than that and the berms start to avalanch back down to the
street; then the town starts trucking snow away to local meadows.  When it
gets that deep, we put plywood over the first floor windows--yes, it's like
living in a cave.  Our homes tend to have the living/kitchen/dining/master
areas on the second floor for this reason.  The roofs do get quite a bit of
snow, but the wind blows much of it off.  Personally, I have mine shoveled
when it gets more than 4 or 5 feet deep, but most roofs engineered in the
past 10 years can withstand about twice that much without too much in the
way of drywall damage inside.  Remember the ski areas "groom" the runs and
areas around the chair lifts.  The chair lift structures are on systems
which raise and lower the whole thing depending on the snow depth.

It's not a lifestyle for the "frail".

 9/17/99 GMT, you wrote:
>Bill,
>
>I don't doubt your word on this.  If you say it is 100 feet a year, and
>confirm the 100 feet, then I believe you.  But being originally from PA, and
>now in TX, I just can't fathom how you could survive in 100 feet of snow.
>How in the world do you snow plow it?  Do you have these huge walls of snow
>40 - 60 feet high on the side of the road?  Do you shovel your roof clean
>after every snow, which must be every day for that big of snow fall?  What do
>you do with 100 feet of snow melt in the spring?  How does a ski lift adjust
>for 100 feet of snow?  Do you ride in gondolas 150 feet up?
>
>Rich

Debby Hight
Triad/Holmes Assoc.
P.O. Box 1570