From: Dave Meney [mailto:yenem(--nospam--at)iinet.net.au]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 7:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Frost line issues

Hi,

I am seeking advice regarding footings and the frost line.  I am aware
that
footings need to be founded below the design frost line.  If a tank for
example is placed on a mound of compacted fill, is the frost line
measured
from the new ground surface local to the tank, or from the existing
ground.
I suspect from the new ground level, as the backfill insulates the
existing
ground.  I saw a strange sketch, which shows tank foundations being
carried
through the backfill and well into the existing ground, for a project
being
considered in Mongolia.

Any comments regarding the frost line would be appreciated - here in
Perth,
Western Australia, it rarely falls below 5° outside!

Regards,
Dave Meney
Yenem Engineering Services
54 John Street