'97 UBC Design - Are you too old to change your ways???

I have been told that there are many older engineers (probably myself to be
included in May as I hit the half century mark) that the provisions for
compliance of the '97 UBC for professionals who historically specialize in
residential construction has created a hardship and may force some engineers
into early retirement.
The argument is that enforcment of the code provisions for residential
structures requires engineers who design by manual tools to expel a much
greater percentage of time on the lateral design of a home which was not
required or enforced prior to this year.
This is believed to be related to loss of work by not being able to compete
with competition who possess the productivity tools to absorb the additional
time required to comply with the code.
I believe that this is a ligitimate complaint that should provide
justification to seriously consider the implication of enforcment of these
code provisions on the recorded history of damage occuring from the
acceptance of prior design methods.

I would be interested in your opinions. Should some of us old timers consider
throwing in the towel or should the towel be thrown over the new methodology
until it can be justified by "bodies" of evidence supporting damage resulting
from inadequate design proceedures?

Dennis Wish PE