WE'RE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT: Walking on Water

WALKING ON WATER (of the Redundant.Sea)

"Bill Allen" <Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com>
Subject: RE: SEAOC Seismic Design Manual Seminar - Vol. 1
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:34:51 ?0700

Commented:

> Then for a multi-story structure do one average over h sub r or story
by story.  Since the lateral >load is typically described as an inverted
triangle story by story would actually make sense, but >averaging over
the height non sense.

According to the Design Manual, you average floor to floor. That is, you
have a uniform load from ground to 2nd floor, another (higher) uniform
load from 2nd floor to 3rd floor, etc.

> >These comments illustrate how a single line in the building code can
be interpreted different ways.

> Which is not supposed to happen.

Maybe not, but most of the code writers are volunteers and work for
free.  Also, I've personally met several of them and none that I've met
are capable of walking on water.

Thank God we at least have design manuals to see how the authors intend
for the code to be interpreted.

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA