Steel in very cold temperatures

Hi,

I am working on a design study for a gold project in Mongolia.  Ambient
temperature is specified as -35°C, dipping to -50°C.

Out Australian normal steel grades are applicable to temperatures in excess
of -20°C.

I know that the low temperatures reduce the ductility of the steel.  Is it
therefore necessary to reject the use of such steel in lower temperatures
under all circumstances?  I would think that if the stresses are low, then
the brittleness wouldn't have an effect.  If this is correct, what would be
an appropriate stress threshold?

The main reason for having Australian steel - our client wants to re-use
existing structures and conveyor trusses where possible.  Much of this will
be enclosed in buildings, but not all of it - particularly the conveyor
structures, some bin support structures etc.

For new steelwork, I intend to specify a suitable grade for that climate.

I welcome all comments and experiences with steel at extremely low
temperatures.

Regards,
Dave Meney
Yenem Engineering Services