Re: Salary Survey

Salary leves in the US are predicated on the law of supply-and-demand which
feeds the desperation factor.  Engineers who aggree to work for peanuts --
many are forced to work for low wages as there are not enough jobs to go
around -- through no fault of their own, are fostering the payment of low
salaries to professionals whose salaries should be commensurate with their
construction-management counterparts.

There is no immediate, short term solution for this problem.  The first step
is to unite and become politically active in fostering legislation written
to increase the demand for our services.  Outlawing the non-licensed
practice of civil engineering in general would be a good start.  Present
laws in California, for instance, are too vague regarding the definition of
engineering.  For instance, one phrase used to define civil engineering in
the civil engineers act is "... the study of the nature of things (para)."
This phrase attempts to virtually classify all science as civil engineering.
With laws written in this fashion, its no wonder that enforcement is
difficult.

In the real world,  prices are set by how badly people need you.  Consistent
with that notion, our most important possessions in this order are: The
lives and health of our families and ourselves (Medicine Agriculture);
Freedom from oppression and protection from dishonesty (Law);  Accessibility
to sources of energy (Public Utilities)  -- a house in worthless if you die
from exposure within; and Shelter from the elements (Architecture and
Engineering).   Let's face it, were pretty far down on the chain-of-demand.

Tom Bayne