RE: Conc Spec Question

Charlie,

False set requirements are not restricted to Type II cement.  The false set
requirements are optional requirements set forth in Table 4 of ASTM C150-95
and all types of cement have the same minimum penetration requirements (50
percent).  Apparently the writer of the spec wanted to specify Type II
cement with this optional requirement.

The false set test is identified as C451.

Since ASTM is moving specifications away from where they logically belong, I
had to go back to my 1995 ASTM volume 04.02 to find the C150 requirements.
ASTM C150 is now published in volume 04.01, which I do not get.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Harold Sprague wrote:

>>Charlie,

The only thing that I have ever come across for a "false set" is:
1.      The super plasticized concrete that looses its slump and bleed water
is often times viewed as a set, but it is not.

2.      The hot and dry conditions that can crust over the top, but the
concrete has not achieved a set.

I have not seen anything that is specifically in regard to Type II cements.

Let me know if you find out anything else.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company