WE'RE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT: So, Mates! What Have We Accomplished???

*SO, MATES!  WHAT HAVE WE ACCOMPLISHED???

 Shafat Qazi <seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 22:29:23 -0700
Subject: Re: SEAINT Listservice - So what have we accomplished???

Contributed:

Dennis:

John really deserves the highest compliments. In my working with SEAOC,
I have never seen such a hard working and smart President. John,
Congratulations for making SEAOC so good!

Dennis, credit goes to you too. You have done an excellent job is using
this list server and bringing forward crucial issues [that] we as
engineers face
everyday.

Shafat

*WISHFUL THINKING!

At 08/06/99 09:57 PM, you wrote:

>If you think I am going to preach the usual activist babble about the
virtual >community's potential to institute real change in our
profession you are wrong.
>As of a few days ago, I am very pleased to announce that we have gained
>considerable ground. The discussions and opinions posted on the List
have resulted >in serious serious contemplation of the problems facing
wood structures by the >Seismology committee and board members. However,
our first major breakthrough >occurred on August 3, 1999, as John Shipp,
SE, President of SEAOC, distributed the >following email to the Chairs
of each of the SEAOC State committees:

*WHETHER 'TIS BETTER TO SUFFER THE SLINGS AND ERRORS OF *OUTRAGEOUS CODE
DEVELOPMENT (COSTING ME A FORTUNE) . . .

>"To: seaocchair(--nospam--at)seaint.org (structural engineers assn/chairs)
>Subject: Interaction with SEAOC Committees
>
>The topic of how to involve the listserver community into the active
>participation of the various SEAOC committees has become a topic of
>significant interest/importance.
>
>By this email, I am asking the chairs of the various SEAOC committees
to review >their current operating procedures and post and implement
ideas to allow >participation of the "virtual community" who cannot
participate in person.  How >can SEAOC promote a free exchange of
up-to-date information and utilize those >who are passionately involved
in specialty areas.

>It is far better to include/invite the members of the virtual
professional community >into the code development versus to suffer the
slings of arrows and technical barbs >delivered by those forced to
implement code provisions that they were not permitted >to help develop
- recall "no taxation without representation".

>John Shipp"

*"IF YOU DON'T SET GOALS, YOU CAN'T REGRET WHAT YOU DIDN'T
* GET!"

--- Yogi Berra

>I hope that each subscriber to this list will join me in congratulating
the State >SEAOC president who established a precedence that, I believe,
will open [up and] >institute the free exchange of ideas. This is a
tremendous accomplishment that must >serve as an example as to how the
virtual community can change the course of our >profession.  It also
opens the doors to the many specialized practitioners of >structural
engineering, who wish to share their unique knowledge and understanding
>of the materials and methods which committees need to accomplish goals.

>I am confident that as the torch is passed in October, the insight that
John has shown >will be supported by the new state president - Ron
Hamburger, SE. I believe that this >will be so as Ron has been an active
participant in this list and, I am sure, realizes >the value of the
information and knowledge he has shared with the Virtual >Community.

>Once again, I wish to thank John Shipp for taking the next reasonable
step and >establishing a precedence which will provide the challenge we
need to establish >working guidelines for the future International code
making community in the >evolution of the IBC.

>I also wish to thank all of the active participants in this list who
were passionate >enough about the issues to voice their opinions, seek
information, use the List for >peer review and even to bring a level of
social value into our homes and offices.

>Sincerely,
>Dennis S. Wish PE

*THIS WAS A TEST BOAT.  IT WAS ONLY A TEST!

*IF IT HAD BEEN AN ACTUAL BOAT, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN *ADDITIONAL
INFORMATION ON WHERE TO GO (ON THE 97 UB.SEA) *AND ISSUED AN UPDATED
DESIGN MANUAL ON HOW TO RHO!

*HAVE A NICE DAY!

James Bela
Oregon Earthquake Awareness / The Quake Northwest