Re: Advice on MBS please

Keep a close eye on the deflection criteria.  Most metal building companies use a standard sway limitation of around H/50 to a maximum of around H/100.  Make sure that your criteria are very well defined. Require sealed calculatins for your review prior to fabrication of the building.

Using a MBMA certified and AISC certified metal building company is recommended.  They are more likely to notice the stiffer delfection requirements and provide a design meeting the criteria.

I recently specified a metal building which a small metal building company designed.  I rejected the shop drawings three times before the company was fired and a seperate metal building company picked up the design.  The shop drawings were rejected three more times before receiveing final approval.  Calculations were not provided until I received the fifth submittal.  After the fourth rejected submittal, the contractor, at his risk,  proceeded
with fabrication and started erection.  We specified a H/360 sway limitation (indicated on the structural drawings as well as in the specifications).  I received sealed calculations a week after the building began erection and the building was designed to H/100 for sway.  The building was taken down and replaced with a newly designed building that met our criteria.