RE: 97 Code is a Life Safety Standard

Chuck:

I agree with your line of thought.  It makes sense that
> ... committee conduct that is not clearly within its members
> understood area of special expertise provokes objections from those
> who do have the relevant expertise and believe themselves harmed.

This brings us to our second dilemna (where the first was the lack
of motivation to set public policy) which is: How do we get those
with the "relevant expertise" to take part in the process?

I understand (and do not dismiss) Dennis' desires concerning
"virtual" committee work.  However, face-to-face human interaction is
the most efficient means of communication.  The subtleties of body
language and tone of voice and the ability to instantly redirect or
refocus the discussion are otherwise lost.  In my experience, even
telephone and video conferencing require significantly more time to
resolve issues of the same complexity.  Using typed messages on this
Listservice often requires multiple exchanges, over the course of
hours, using hundreds of words to clarify a single point (where two
minutes of human interaction would suffice).  Given that hundreds of
important issues are at stake, we must use the most efficient medium
for the discussions.  This is the compelling reason that all
committee work is not conducted in writing.

While I believe that significant contributions can be made in writing
and via modern methods, an ancient proverb says "there is a
frustrating of plans where there is no confidential talk, but in the
multitude of counselors there is accomplishment."  This is still true
today.

-Mike