RE: Salary Survey

Paul Rohrer  mailto:prohrer(--nospam--at)jnase.com
<JN> Johnson and Nielsen Associates    www.jnase.com
Consulting Structural Engineers
949-261-1495   949-261-2307 FAX

The free market is exactly that. FREE. As in, we are free to charge any fee we wish to. The trick is, is to stay competitive with out cutting our own professional throats while doing it. Engineers need to realize the value of our education and profession and charge accordingly. There is no shame in making a profit. How many times have we negociated our fees only to realize at the end of the job that we negociated away any chance of a profit? Has anyone been able to negociate an attorneys fee to something lower than what he expects? The reason Attorney fees are so high is because as a profession, they charge high fees. If engineers started charging appropriately and stopped negociating away or trimming down any profit the entire profession would benefit.