Re: 97 Code is a Life Safety Standard

Lynn,

In your subject posting, "Re: 97 Code is a Life Safety Standard", you stated:
"Design
ground accelerations should be defined with the period of RECURRENCE of the
predicted quake also defined."  (Emphasis added.)

Ground motion experts usually define the design earthquake ground motion in
terms of "mean return periods" or "earthquakes with a given probability of
exceedance in a given number of years", not earthquakes with a given period
of RECURRENCE.

Do you know of ground motion experts that define the design ground
acceleration in terms of earthquakes with a given period of RECURRENCE, such
as an earthquake that has a 100 year recurrence period?   I would be
interested in their names and addresses so I could contact them.

Does the 1994 or 1997 Uniform Building Code define the design earthquake
ground motion in terms of earthquakes that have a given period of RECURRENCE?

Frank E. McClure