Re: 97 Code is a Life Safety Standard

Frank-

I always seem to get this confused.  I think that an
earthquake that has a 10% probability of occurring
in 50 years (which is the UBC code design based
earthquake) is the same as the largest earthquake
that you would expect to occur in any 495 year
period. ( I am at home and away from my reference
material, so I am going from memory on these
numbers).

So I am assuming that an earthquake with a 495 year
return period is the same thing as an earthquake
that has a 10% chance of occurrence in 50 years.  If
I am wrong, please set me straight.

Lynn