RE: Salary Survey

>I don't think this is a very good example. Had "laissez faire" been a part
>of this process, the nuclear power industry would still be alive and viable
>today.
I've been around the nuke business myself, and I feel very strongly that
a laissez-faire attitude allowed too many utilities who couldn't pay the
technical dues into the nuke business. They got nuke plants they couldn't
build and run efficiently. The three best run nuclear power organizations
are the US Navy program and the French and Japanese systems--all strictly
government operations. France and Japan get most of their power from
nukes.

I'll go this far with the bureaucracy point--the US program seems to have
substituted procedure for technical leadership, unlike the way Rickover
ran the Navy program. I daresay this results from a lack of technical
commitment with utilities whose chief interest is mailing out light bills
and sub-contracting responsibility. An outfit that goes nuclear with an
attitude of, 'How do we just get by?' instead of 'How do we make this the
best operation there is?' is in trouble. In fact that attitude pretty
much guarantees a bureaucracy focussed on corner-cutting instead of
technical leadership. I think people would have been a lot more willing
to trust the nuclear industry had they sensed a clear commitment to
safety and efficiency, and I doubt the US radwaste disposal program would
be such shambles with someone of Rickover's stature in charge. But that
isn't the way we do things any more.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw