Re: Shoddy practice

fturner wrote:

Neil Glaser just said: "The media blames everything on 'shoddy
construction'. "

<snip>

In 1994, the Ca. Seismic Safety Commission concluded that "Poor quality in
design, plan review, inspection, and construction were encountered over and
over in the buildings damaged by the earthquake. California's current system
of building design and construction encourages individual gambles that add
up to significant risks..."

Fred,

I understand there was a battle (or at least a strong difference of opinion) on the California Seismic
Safety Commission about including this language on "poor quality and workmanship" in the Commission final report on the Northridge earthquake.  Maybe you could share that history and/or
the meeting minutes where these points of view were discussed.  Didn't this issue hold up the release of the final report?

"IF YOU BUILD IT WRONG, THE EARTHQUAKE WILL COME"

James Bela
Oregon Earthquake Awareness / The Quake Northwest
"We Have Nothing To Fear But Shear Itself"  / "We're All Subducting In This Together"

PS  Mark Twain once observed:

"History doesn't always repeat itself, but it rhymes a lot!"

PPS  I saw a video portrayal of the demise of the Tacoma Narrows (Galloping Gertie) bridge last evening at our SEAO meeting: Bridges of Portland.  Evidently the insurance agent, assuming the bridge would never fail, never turned in the money; but pocketed it for himself.  Wind some, Lose some!