Re: AASHTO ASD/LFD

Chris/Tom,

Please note that those tables in the AISC publication (or at least the version
of the book that I have) assume constant moment of inertia over the entire
length of the structure.  Increasing the stiffness at interior piers will tend
to increase the negative moment at that location and reduce the positive moment
at midspan.  The reason for varying the moment of inertia over the length of the
structure is evident when you see the moment diagram which allows for economy in
member sizing.  But for initial girder sizing that publication is very useful.
Sorry, I don't have an inexpensive program to suggest to you.  Check Penn DOT's
website.  I think they have programs for $500.  Though, I think they think they
went to LRFD.

Hector

Tom_Cummings(--nospam--at)urscorp.com on 09/30/99 11:44:10 AM