Re: Salary Survey

"Aya-Welland, Ruben A." wrote:

>         Actually, I would argue that you don't really disagree with my
> statement.
>         Note that I said "Generally, no."  That means for the most part they
> cannot
>         do the same things we can.  However, if you compare a architect JUST
> out of
>         school with a civil engineer JUST out school, they will have
> structural
>         skills that are rather similar.  A lot of young engineers don't
> fully grasp
>         concepts of load paths and cannot intuitively pick a member size.
> Much of
>         what I know now I did not learn during my undergraduate education.
>
> Scott --- I disagree.
>
> A civil engineer fresh out of graduate school will have a decent
> understanding of structural behavior and load distribution. They will have
> taken courses in advanced steel, concrete design as well as structural
> dynamics, etc.. (you get the picture).
>
> An architect fresh out of graduate school will have about the same or
> probably less of an understanding of structures as a civil engineer fresh
> out of undergraduate school. This would probably include courses in basic
> steel, concrete, wood design.
>
> An architect fresh out of undergraduate school will probably have little to
> no understanding of structures --- the most that the typical arch undergrad
> student might see in school is a very basic statics and mechanics of
> materials course --- if they're ambitious.

As I am fresh out of undergraduate school, I can vouch for this.  I am
already educating architects with more than 20 years experience what
they can / can't do with a building.  Like everything else though, there
is an exception to every rule.  So I repeat my initial question.  Who
has the largest impact on the SAFETY of a strucutre.  Isn't that the
primary design goal?

Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT