RE: Salary Survey

I was trying to stay out of this thread because I believe absolutely nothing
positive can every come out of it. IMO, It will never translate into any
form of concrete (pun intended) action or change in society.

That said, to me it doesn't matter if the academic programs of architectural
students and civil engineering students were identical. IMO, a bachelor's
degree in civil engineering gives one the tools to proceed in a field that
requires experience to do well. I am fairly convinced I can take a graduate
Architectural student and have him/her pass the CA SE exam on the first pass
(two of my three proteges passed on the first time) if they were allowed to
sit for it. Of course, they wouldn't have a life for five years :o).

I am amazed that, still, in California, even in seismic zone 4, someone with
a degree in civil engineering (maybe whose specialty was not structural
engineering) can get two years of experience (not necessarily structural
engineering experience), can pass the EIT and PE exam and is legal to stamp
and sign just about any structural plans in the state. If the public was
aware of this, they would be up in arms (or should be).

The field of architecture and the field of structural engineering are
different and both are demanding. It is a shame that the general public is
under the impression that the architect provides the structural engineering
but I pretty much got over that when I realized that, on average, I make
more than he does. He's also the first one to be called if there is a
problem.

Ladies and gentlemen, please, lets pick our battles more effectively.

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA