From: Silva John (sj) [mailto:Silva(--nospam--at)hilti.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 5:11 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Threaded Stainless Steel Rod

Harold,

I picked this response up while cleaning out my inbox.  Is there a
particular reason why you avoid the AISI grades?  Our typical offering for
threaded rod in the U.S. is 304 or 316 meeting the mechanical requirements
of ASTM F593 Condition CW.  Based on our experience, the chemical
composition of 316 is preferred for resisting chloride and sulfur dioxide
attack in the form of pitting and crevice corrosion.
You might be interested to know that we also have a high molybdenum content
(> 6%) stainless available on request with a DIN material number of 1.4529.
We designate this material HCR.  It has been tested extensively in Swiss
tunnels over a two year period side by side with more garden variety
stainless materials and is the only anchor material permitted in Swiss
tunnel construction.  Other stainless formulations, including A4 (similar to
316), failed this trial.

Regards,

John F. Silva, SE
Director, Codes and Approvals