RE: Threaded Stainless Steel Rod

>The reason I avoid the AISI grades is that the mechanical properties vary
>with the manufacturer.
Absolutely bang on. _Always_ use ASTM specs for load-bearing material.
I'd like to emphasize this with a story of my own involving a particular
supplier's brand name of quenched and tempered steel plate. We used the
brand name to order material which was duly supplied us. After we'd used
much of it we found our steel had the [proper brand name but had been
specially heat treated to a very high hardness and was nowhere near as
tough as we needed. We had no recourse, and we ate the order. We got
exactly what we said; the supplier wasn't at fault because he didn't know
what we meant. Had we referenced the proper ASTM spec, we would have had
received the steel we had in mind and clear grounds for rejecting the
material. We would also not have had to wait around for one particular
manufacturer to roll what we wanted and stamp his brand on it. This was a
very difficult and expensive material QA lesson. ASTM specs provide not
only chemistry but minimum strength properties, appropriate toughness
requirements, fabrication and processing practice and dimensional
tolerances. If you don't cover yourself this way, you're effectively
letting a supplier make your material choices for you, and sure as eggs
is eggs you'll wind up holding the brown end of the stick.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw