Re: FW: METRIC - WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE????

Good metric convertion program can be downloaded at

http//www.joshmadison.com/software

David A. Hall, S.E., P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer
David Evans and Associates, Inc.
2828 SW Corbett Ave
Portland, OR 97201
503-499-0280
Fax 503-223-2701
E-Mail dahl(--nospam--at)deainc.com

>>> "Antonio J. Arthay, P.E." <tarthay(--nospam--at)wkminc.com> 10/01 6:55 AM >>>

Sent:	Friday, October 01, 1999 8:46 AM
To:	'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject:	METRIC - WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE????

For all those that have not heard it yet, the error that produced a loss of
$125M and a national embarrassment was
caused by "forgetting to convert units"...Sounds familiar???

When are we going to take a unified stand as a profession and join the rest
of the world?  The Canadians did it in two years, so did the Brits.  What
is it going to take to open the eyes of those that think we can live in
isolation?  Perhaps if jumbo jets starting falling off to the ground due to
"forgetting to convert units", our voices would start being heard.

Here in Texas, TX-DOT started a metrification program a few years ago, but
since "it was cumbersome" decided to permanently join the past again and
stay with their feet and inches, which make so much more sense....

The question remains, WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE?

Antonio J. Arthay, P.E.
Laurence & Associates