RE: Galvanized Structural Steel A440

David:

A440 refers to ASTM A440 "High Strength Steel".  Information can be found in
the AISC "Manual of Steel Construction, Sixth Edition" (1963) where it has a
published yield strength of 42 ksi.  It also is referenced in the seventh
edition (1970) where the yield strength varies from 42 ksi to 50 ksi
depending on the shape group per ASTM A6.

The following comment with respect to weldability appears in seventh edition
"...., with the exception of ASTM A440 steel which is not recommended for
welding by AISC".  A similar comment is found in the sixth edition.

Regards

Harry Olive, P.E.
Neill and Gunter