Re: Galvanized Structural Steel A440

>ASD Table 1 page 1-7 references an A441 designation.  The tower was
>originally designed in 1965.
I have a copy of ASTM A441 that came with the old US Steel highway
structures design handbook. Lukens also supplies it. It's listed as 'High
Strength Low Alloy Structural Manganese Vanadium Steel,' and is weldable.
That same handbook also has a copy of A-440 identified as 'High Strength
Structural Steel.' The spec says it's intended for riveted and bolted
structures and the chemistry looks fat enough (high carbon and Mn) so I
doubt if it's really weldable.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw