RE: '97 UBC Lateral Design - Envelope Solutions???? - Part 1

Hey, Dennis.

Good panel on Saturday. (Sorry I rushed off but I needed to hitch up the
trailer and vamoose to San Diego.) Good as far as it went which,
unfortunately, wasn't very far.

John Coil mentioned an SEAOC Proceedings paper from the late 70's that I
actually read and heeded. I did my first envelope design on a three story
wood frame hotel about 15 years ago. Of course the concept made much sense
since the floors had concrete topping (hard rock, not cellular), were fully
blocked  and had small aspect ratios. And I have never done such an analysis
on a residence other than to make ad hoc adjustments where appropriate due
to unusual conditions. I usually design the rear wall of the garage for the
full garage shear whether seismic or wind.

I disagree, however, with the option of eliminating conventional framing
provisions as such. I agree that they are inadequate and should be
strengthened. But, as you noted, we simply cannot force the cost of housing
out of the reach of low income individuals.

The standard way we deal with force is one of the difficulties. As engineers
we tend to increase strength when faced with increased forces. As many of us
discover the resulting increase in stiffness has a way of making the
situation worse rather better. I believe that the way to solve the problem
is to use lightweight materials more effectively. The use of such materials
will be limited until the development costs have been amortized. Ultimately,
though, I don't see that there is much choice for housing.

Mark Deardorff