RE: Steel in very cold temperatures

>The steel toes acted as heat sinks, and I ended
>up with no feeling whatsoever in my feet for almost three months.
We don't get routinely colder than about 30 below here, but the secret is
layering, especially with boots. Two or 3 pairs of thin socks invariably
makes for warmer feet than the equivalent thickness in one pair. When I
go hiking I wear steel-toed insulated Red Wing boots (also part of my
inspection gear). The boots never pick up moisture because they're too
cold to melt snow, but under the socks it's always nice and toasty warm.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw