From: JPRiley485(--nospam--at)aol.com <JPRiley485(--nospam--at)aol.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 2:33 PM
Subject: sprog

According to the New Oxford Dictionary of English:

sprog
    Brit. informal, chiefly derogatory
    noun a child.
        a military recruit or trainee.
    verb (sprogged, sprogging) [no OBJ.] have a baby.
    origin1940's (originally services' slang in the sense 'new recruit'):
perhaps from obsolete sprag 'lively young man', of unknown origin.

I would not have had a chance to discover the meaning of this word without
the internet and it's vast resources.  My paperback dictionary that I keep on
my desk did not have the word.  And I forget how to use my slide rule, or
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org