Re: Timber Retaining Wall, cantilever embedment

Paul_Reilly(--nospam--at)dot.ca.gov wrote:

> I am searching for a reference/methodology to design a
> timber retaining wall:  Hmax = 8',  EFP=37 psf, (cantilever)
> concrete-set rectangular member.  Question is the
> interface between the concrete encased post
> and the required embedment.   Soil profile Sd.

Paul,

You may want to consider using a steel W shape for piers with wood 4X
lagging between piers and set between flanges.  No problems with post
shrinkage at foundation interface.  Plus it will have a much greater
longevity as long as your not at the beach.

Robert