Master-Slave Joint

I need some advice here. There is a feature in STAAD3 about master-slave
joints. I have seen some use it but in my 3-D models , I have never used the
option. Well basically, I know it has something to do with the rigidity of
joints . I heard that when this option is used, the lateral displace ment of
joints in one story would be the same ??? Am I on the conservative side if I
did not use it ? What are its advantages / disadvantages.

Thanks !!!!

Allan Yango
CE/SE
TMP