Re: Federal building code future

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 9/13/99 12:53:56 PM, polhemus(--nospam--at)insync.net writes:

>there is a reason that local control over issues such
>as building code implementation and enforcement are and should be local
>issues.

OTOH, we recently saw what "local control" of building code implementation
and enforcement produced in Turkey.  Guess there's two (or more) sides to
every issue.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

I'm confused by this discussion.  I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that when the Federal Government builds a building (like the new Federal Courthouse here in Portland--a steel SMRF structure with some of the SAC connection fixes) they don't have to have a building permit from the state.

   What I have never understood, is why they don't require all of their Federal buildings and structures to follow/comply with the NEHRP Provisions they/we have all been investing in since 1985?  With the IBC 2000 based on the 97 NEHRP Provisions, I don't understand why there would be an interest or a need in a "Federal Building Code"?

PS:  "There are actually 'three' sides to every issue:  1) your side; 2) the other fellow's; and 3) the right one!"  But you say "(or more)" . . . I did forget about "The Building Official's"!

James Bela
Oregon Earthquake Awareness  /  The Quake Northwest
"We Have Nothing To Fear But Shear Itself"  /  "We're All Subducting In This Together"

*   site at: http://www.seaint.org