Re: Steel frame wind resistance

I can't remember the last building I designed with any walls blank
enough for either x-bracing or masonry shear walls.  I've found joists
and joist-girders in moment frames to be quite economical in place.
Sometimes the detrimental effect of the deeper sections can be offset by
running the mechanical and electrical through the web openings instead
of under.  The maximum duct size needs to be coordinated with the joist
fabricator to avoid surprises.

In case anyone is wondering about my email address, no, I do not work
for a joist manufacturer or the Steel Joist Institute.  I do, however,
work with a lot of joist products in a lot of normal and not so normal
applications.  Just didn't want anyone to think this was a commercial.

Phil