From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:polhemus(--nospam--at)insync.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 10:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: STAAD

You require software drivers for the lock that will run under NT.

Contrary to what MS would have you believe, Windows 9x is still pretty much DOS-based, and doesn't provide the "rock solid" system integrity that Windows NT does (well, relatively speaking, anyhow).

Therefore, you can still finagle Windows 9x to allow software to directly access the system hardware. Windows NT doesn't allow this, so "weird" devices like hardware locks must have drivers that Windows NT can work with. Otherwise, NT will not allow the hardware to communicate with the rest of the system.

FWIW, we have used STAAD for some time now with NT. It is much more stable than under Windows 9x (doesn't crash QUITE as often), and we have no problem using it with the specially-written NT hardware lock drivers.

Contact Research Engineers, Inc., for more information.