LLC Discrimanation

After 15 years of working hard for other people/businesses, I will be
starting my own consulting practice at the end of the year to work hard
directly for myself and my family. I had hoped to form a Limited Liability
Company (LLC) rather than incorporate or run as a sole proprietor.
Unfortunately, as I researched the formation of an LLC entity I found that
"currently, the more than 60 professions licensed by the state cannot form a
California LLC - except lawyers, accountants and architects, who may form a
Registered Limited Liability Partnership."(Form Your Own Limited Liability
Company, Anthony Mancuso, Nolo Press, 1999)

I was wondering if the more legal minded and State connected list
participants could offer any insight into this situtation.

TIA,

Brent Koch, P.E.
Livermore, CA