Re: stainless welding

>Does anyone know the appropriate ASTM designation for type 316 Stainless
>Steel. Is it ASTM A316?
Depends on the product form. A-240 gr 316 is plate; A-276 gr316 (among
others) covers  bar; A-213 and A-312 (again among others) cover pipe and
tube. Suggest you get to a copy of the appropriate ASTM book to see what
you're going to need.

>Also, where can I find info on the appropriate welding electrode for this
>material??
All welding suppliers sell consumables for 3xx stainless. The type you
need depends on your welding procedure and process. Don't forget that any
work hardening you might need for strength disappears near a weld.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw