RE: WELDING: Inspection of Plug Welds in Primary Member Connections

Thanks for the comments and observations.

I will attempt to clarify.

We are using POT bearings at the supports for steel box girders. The bearing
sole plates which are to be field-welded to the bottom flange were
originally going to be fillet welded. However, in discussions with the DOT
folks, they mentioned that they have gone to using plug welds, with a hole
through the flange plate.

Now, it seems to me that such welds WILL experience "stress reversal" after
a fashion, but typically only in shear. "Stress range" is probably more to
the point.

In your opinion, then, this would be a problem?

* * *

> Do you need the sections from AWS D1.5 pertaining to plug
> welds?  There are only
> a few, I can send them to you if you want.  They don't appear
> to require any
> tests unless you deviate from the WPS provided.

I have the AWS D1.5. You might just point me to reference sections.

O.K., no tension, and "reversal of stress" in shear connections seems to me
to want for interpretation. You aren't going from tension to compression,
for example, but I suspect you WILL be seeing changes in the direction of
the shear stress.

What about that?

> If used elsewhere, no NDT is required,
> simply visual inspection. The basic design requirements are in 2.8,
> technique is in 4.21 and 4.23.

Thanks for the references.