vibrations from railroad

I am designing a concrete lined storm water channel/canal, which has a
railroad track running parallel to the channel.   I have been searching for
design procedures/formulas to account for the vibration induced from the
train or to prove that the channel is far enough away that the effect is
negligible. The nearest edge of the channel is 10' off the center line of
the track. This is far enough away that the dead, live (Cooper E 80) and
impact loading of the railway cars does not effect my channel (based on the
2:1 method). This seemed sufficient to me at first because the channel was
beyond the live load (and thereby impact load) lateral distribution length.
But I have been within 15' of  a train and felt the vibration through a slab
on grade.

 I  have the 1995 AREA (American Railway Engineering Association) manuals
for railway engineering, which have design loading information and minimum
structure offsets.
I could not find info regarding the frequency calculations of the railway
system.

Have any of you designed structures for similar types of vibrations or know
of sources of vibration design info? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Donna Friis, EIT

> CDM Camp Dresser & McKee Inc.
> consulting engineering construction operations
>

> Donna Friis
> Structural Engineer
> 2301 Maitland Center Parkway Ste 300
> Orlando, FL  32751
> Tel: (407) 660-6415, Fax: (407) 875-1161

	mailto:FRIISDL(--nospam--at)CDM.COM