RE: 7.0 Landers Aftershock

Paul,

After this quake and the previous Landers EQ that caused buildings in Phoenix
to sway and creak and caused the strong motion instrument at the Palo Verde
Nuclear Generating Plant to trigger, don't you think that it is time to
eliminate Seismic Zone 1 from *all* parts of Arizona?  Paul, can you check
with the VA Hospital in Phoenix to see if their strong motion instrument
triggered?  You may have to do some digging to find someone that knows that
they have one.  (Is there someone from Menlo Park on the list that could
answer this question?)

While the EQ physically woke you and your wife up (and prompted a very
germane question from her), I would hope that it also woke up all Structural
Engineers in Arizona to the absurdity of having Seismic Zone 1 in Arizona.

It is well known that there is a geologic "duct" that causes earthquakes east
of the coast mountains in California to be felt in Phoenix, but not so
readily in Tucson.  (A similar geologic "duct" exists between Nevada and a
remote area in Siberia in the former USSR, which is where the Russians
constructed a seismic station to monitor nuclear tests in the Nevada
desert.)  While Tucson is not so susceptible to California earthquakes,
faults in southern Arizona and northern Mexico, namely the Piticachi (sp?)
fault have caused problems in southeastern Arizona.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Paul Blomberg wrote:

. > The quake woke me up this morning in Phoenix, AZ.  My  wife wanted to know
. > if our house was designed good enough for earthquakes.
. >
. > Paul F. Blomberg