Re: UCBC (UCEB) Open Forum - October 25

Dennis Wish responded to my previous email directly.  I didn't notice this
and responded to him thinking it was going to the whole listserver.  I was
beginning to wonder why I didn't get a return notice.  Dennis, I hope you
don't mind me including your email at the bottom of this email as I have to
run and don't want to wait until Monday to send my response.

The ICBO web site address where the UCBC (or UCEB) can be found is as
follows:

http://www.icbo.org/Code_Talk/

The Appendix Chapters can be found under the heading 2000 UCEB/UCBC.

The place to send your comments about any of the Appendix Chapter is to
Jack Laws, Chair of the Existing Building Committee.
SDE.SF(--nospam--at)WORLDNET.ATT.NET.   Jack will either look at the comments or pass
them on to someone who is responsible for each chapter.   If you need a fax
number, let me know.  The Existing Building committee did not work on
anything but Appendix Chapters 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Traveling to these meetings is always the problem.  We had a hearing on the
UCBC earlier this year in Southern California and not a sole came.  We are
having the meeting up in Northern California this time because several
individuals we know have comments are in the San Francisco Bay Area and
will attend.

It is unfortunate that there is relatively little advance notice given for
these meetings.  Part of the problem is that the traditional places for
giving notice for these meetings don't seem to reach many engineers.  Thats
why I tried this listserver.  The changeover to the IBC has created some
uncertainties that make scheduling tough.  For awhile it was not clear
whether there would be a 2000 UCBC or a 2000 ICBC (or whatever they would
call it).  As it is, the UCBC has to work with the 1997 UBC and 2000 IBC.
Some of that stuff still needs to be worked out in the draft copies on the
web.  The whole code cycle process is pretty amazing when you realize that
proposals for a document that will be called 2001 UCEB Supplement are due
on November 1 this year.

We do want to hear from engineers.  Even if you can only read one appendix
chapter and provide comments that would be great.  Chapters are less than
10 pages.  The types of comments we need are specific ones, not "add
something about rigid diaphragms."    If you want to draft your
recommendation in the code change format, thats great.

By the way, I believe there is a plan to eventually provide commentaries
with these chapters.  Some chapters already have draft commentaries, some
don't (lack of person power).   Those will need review and comment in the
future too.

Dave McCormick

Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com on 10/16/99 04:50:02 PM